4.28.2016

Watercolor Fun!*


Hi everyone!


I am absolutely, head-over-heels IN LOVE 
with the watercolor look on cards!
I just swoon every time I see them and love the new trend :)
My gallery is brimming with pinned watercolor cards to try,
and this past weekend, I 'dove in' and water-colored!
*squeals!*

 Recently, there has been a lot of flutter of the new
 Recollections Color Splash watercolor crayons,
 available only at Michaels in store.
One of my card groups on SCS was chatting about them, 
and I was intriqued,
but would you believe I walked by them, picked them up, 
and put them back down three times!
Yep,  the 4th time was the charm, as I'm not normally one to follow fads
and am still using my old {repeat OLD!!!} SU watercolor crayons
and TH distress inks :)
My daughter insisted I treat myself and dropped them into my basket
while I'm hemmed and hawwed ~ true story! ~ and oh me, oh my!

Worth.  every.  penny!!



They are so luscious and rich, creamy and shimmery,
just a vivid pop of color with some pearlized shine - a gem, they are!
I have many sets of watercolor crayons and paints and even the pencils,
but what makes these so much fun is the bit of shine they have 
when you hold them into the light just so :)
While I can't link up to any sites for you, 
you can do a quick you-tube search for these.

I wanted to ink up the brand new stamp A Way with Words from
and thought it would be a perfect match for the serene, soft 'ocean-y'
background I was looking for.
The watercolor look is a perfect compliment to the nautical stamps ♥

 



It's hard to see the shimmer and I have much to learn :)
The only watercolor paper I had on hand is Strathmore
heavy weight watercolor paper, which did just fine.
I inked up two of the stamps in the set with Momento Tuxedo Black
after the watercolor had already set ... 
but, I did use a heat embossing tool to speed up the process :)
I added a few sparkly sequins just for good measure -
and while I do LOVE the final cards,
I've much to learn!
I think it's easier said than done,
 and I had an ball stamping and water-coloring!

  Remember - paper crafting and card making should always be FUN!

Use whatever you have one hand :)
I still tinker with my old watercolor crayons and ...

 I even get OLD SCHOOL with my kiddie paints - 
 {a whoppin' .10¢  at Office Max
during the summer clearance ... can't beat that!}


Be as creative as you want to be ~ 
enjoy the process, savor the journey ♥

Thanks for stopping by today!
Big hugs, Bigger Blessings! 
~Kelly

24 comments:

  1. Pretty Kelly! I think that you are under estimating your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, your watercolor backgrounds look so amazing, Kelly!! Now I'm intrigued by those Recollections watercolor crayons!! You did such a fabulous job with them - you've inspired me!! Love these beautiful cards my friend!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Miss Enabler! Those watercolors look amazing! Love the sheen that you got from them! Yes, definitely a lot of fun I can see. Glad your daughter told you to get them. I could see making all sorts of different backgrounds for cards - just to have when you need them, instead of making each one when you have to. Maybe that's just me, but I've never got any already made. Love the little sequins too, and the flowers that are floating all over your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luscious shimmery pastels. Simple and stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great water coloring. Something that I think I have only tried once. You have inspired me to give it a go again! great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great water coloring. Something that I think I have only tried once. You have inspired me to give it a go again! great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww Kelly these are marvelous - love your backgrounds - just the effect I want but never seem to get :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. so beautiful... and you definitely deserve to splurge once in a while!! but good for you with the cheapy and the old... i need to go pull out my kiddos' old school watercolors and try it out now!!

    lovies, =o) kel

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cards are so pretty Kelly--and your water coloring skills are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly...Kelly...Kelly!!!!Such an enabler! The only motive I need to hop into something new is someones endorsement! Now I must run out to Michaels!!! I want the shimmer! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wowzer Kelly!! The watercolor looks SO pretty!! What a gorgeous job you've done with it!! I absolutely love your inspiration here!! Good for you on your products!! :) HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful cards. You really used those new crayons well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!!
    Thank you for folowing me, I become your folower to, I se you are creative tooo, and have diferent tehinck then me, that is great, I love to learn!!
    I'm definetly going to wisit you!!
    ♥Hugs Valentina♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your backgrounds- can really see the shimmer in your first picture. You have inspired me to try this- with my SU crayons... and you stamped beautifully- sometimes stamping is hard for me on Watercolor paper. Yeah to your daughter for encouraging you to have a little fun and buy something for yourself : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow Kelly these are beautiful I also love the look of watercolour on cards I used to do it often when I first started stamping, I think you are a natural the blend of colours are wonderful a brilliant buy and fantastic creations
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  16. These cards are absolutely stunning Kelly & that watercolour background is beautiful :o)
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Hugs
    Tracey
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kelly, I've never used watercolor crayons; but if I can make cards as beautiful as these with them, I just might have to buy some and try them myself. Gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never tried watercolour crayons, but these look fab! Enjoy your new goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous cards Kelly. You did a great job with the watercolors. Have fun with them. Hugs, Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kelly, I am in awe! Your water-coloring is FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also have watercolor Crayons but rarely use them. Your Cards looking great - like the CAS style !

    Imke ~ My Crafty Place

    ReplyDelete
  22. Why can't I get my watercoloring to look this dreamy! Beautiful cards, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good morning sweetie, I am loving your creations today, husg Pops x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such great backgrounds! I have seen these and never thought to pick them up! They are going on my list for sure!

    ReplyDelete